I am excited to introduce you guys to a new live interactive online educational opportunity for homeschoolers. Literature is an important component of especially for those who follow the classical or Charlotte Mason philosophy of education. It plays a vital role in our home (just take a look at the list of fantastic books my 9 year old will be reading this year!). My kids aren’t yet old enough to take advantage of these courses, but for those of you with kids in Junior or Senior high, this is an affordable way to expose your children to classical books guided by an instructor with a Ph.D in literature.
I’m excited to have Dana from CM Live! sharing some information below all about their program. Find out what makes this program stand out from other online programs besides the fact that it’s affordable. We have a special treat planned. CM Live! is giving away a free year-long literature course for two winners, a package worth $265 each! Be sure to check back on Saturday to enter for your chance to win.
In the meantime, check out what CM Live! is all about below.
What is CM Live?
- The CM stands for Charlotte Mason. We offer online literature classes for middle or high school teens focusing on the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, using Charlotte Mason principles such as choosing living books, reading whole texts, focusing on historical eras, and evaluating mastery through conversational approaches such as discussion and narration.
- CM Live! is run by homeschooling moms who understand the need to be affordable and flexible while offering a quality value for the money.
- Facilitated by an educational professional passionate about her subject matter, we seek to encourage enthusiasm and mastery in a safe, nurturing environment. We value the Charlotte Mason ideal that we are instilling a love of learning, in an atmosphere of community where learning takes flight.
How do our classes work?
- Our classes are designed to have your child at the center of a vibrant learning community, and thus are limited to 15 students per class.
- Each week, students meet together online with the instructor during class via a Live Chat webinar. Encouraging a sense of community, we allow time before and after class for “free chat” amongst the students.
- The instructor (homeschooling mom with a Ph.D in literature) comes to you live from England via audio and video feed in an interactive format.
- Students are assigned weekly readings and complete a once-weekly narration in an online journal, as well as one creative presentation project per term.
- Students are engaged in Online Discussion Forums throughout the week as they begin to form relationships with the authors of the texts and fellow students through the exchange of ideas.
- Additional content designed to deepen the student’s appreciation for the material is provided via our Going Further feature which includes relevant links to documentaries, on-line background material, maps, photos, and even original manuscripts or art.
What sets us apart from the rest?
- Our instructors are credentialed, knowledgeable, and passionate about their subject matter. And, we’re homeschoolers, just like you.
- CM Live! grew out of a need for our own teens to learn in community. Our own kids are students in our CM Live! classes. So, we are invested in getting it right.
- We love books, but we also love relationships. Over 50% of last year’s students met together in person via local socials or traveling for summer holidays.
- Many of our selections can be found in college courses. We focus on high quality, twaddle-free, and complete living texts. We let the authors speak.
- We know homeschoolers have differing priorities. So, we strive to offer you flexibility in allowing you to tailor the courses to meet your needs.
- Want a gentle approach? Simply read the texts, turn up to webinars, and do one narration a week.
- Want to dig in? Opt for one of the Add-On Intensives, where your child can be further challenged and receive anhonors designation for high school credit.
- Both options are awarded one high school credit in British Literature.
- While our courses are definitely college-prep, we are not jumping through controversial and restrictive hoops like Common Core, public school affiliations, accreditations, or other layers of officialdom that may demean the spirit and freedom of home education. We are simply here to help you in growing and inspiring your young person through great literature. A process that prepares them for life.
- We believe in growth through great literature. But, Charlotte Mason says it best: “Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth—physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual—is the sole end of education.”
Good News: 20% off CM Live!
Good news! Even if you don’t win one of the free courses during our giveaway, you can still be a winner! Between now and September 13, 2013, you can get 20% off any course (that’s a $53 value) using this Promo Code: CMLIVETWENTY. This is in addition to our many generous discount programs! See discount and registration details on our website. Don’t forget to follow CM Live! on facebook too!